Friday, February 12, 2016

It Wasn't Just a Fluke!

I always start off a post with a general ho hum approach, not knowing exactly where I am headed.  Today is different.  I am on a mission to post awesomeness!  Not my writing but my message.  I have had many opportunities to see awesome lately, I think other people may need some awesome, so here goes.  It started way back at Christmas...
I have a classroom of 6-7 year olds.  They are your run of the mill high energy, very inquisitive, chatty, did I mention high energy, group of kiddos.  Now, that in and of itself, leads me to question hourly, "Did they hear me? Do they know I am here? Have they learned anything?"  The answer to all of these questions is yes!  I would never have believed it until I saw the proof though.
I got my kids some goodies at Christmas and a book.  Nothing fancy.  Every single child at different points throughout the day told me thank you.  This is a big deal, because I had never seen the level of true thankfulness that I witnessed that day.  I went home shocked and told my husband.  Then I felt compelled to email parents and thank them for the manners their children displayed.
Well, this isn't a Christmas post, it is a Valentine's Post.  We had our classroom party today.  Every year it is the same old thing, bag of candy, kids dig through to get the sweets and toss the cards to the side.  Not this group.  They sat and meticulously read every single card and every single name (No one asked for help to sound out words!!!! Significant if you have ever taught reading to young children).  Then as if it were Christmas all over again, they would read a card and walk over to a friend, "Hey, thank you for my card, how did you know I love alligators?"  Or "It was so cool that you wrote me a card, I knew I was your friend." One student in my room was missing a card from a friend. The friend rushed to me to let me know it was not OK that her friend was upset that she couldn't find her card.  She professed that she knew she had made her one.  So, we all calmed down and looked the area over, yes, in fact the card was on the floor.  They both smiled and squealed.  Then they turned and thanked me for helping.
Sometimes I get so caught up in the demands of the job I don't stop and look at the blessing of my job.  I realized  that listening to all of these little thankful voices once again, it was not a fluke at Christmas.  They were not just minding manners, these little people are thankful and it is 100% genuine.  Our data wall may not look perfect, and our behavior logs may have rough days but I am happy to say at the end of the day, when a child in this classroom says "thank you" to a teacher, it is a gift and it comes straight from their heart. So, there is my awesomeness for today.  I hope you got as much of a lift as I did.  Kids really are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment