Saturday, October 24, 2015

Just Smile!

So this week the song that came rushing to my mind was a Nat King Cole song Smile, that I remember hearing in the movie Savannah Smiles.  One of my favorite movies from the 80's for many reasons, but the biggest reason was that song. 
" Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by"
This was the song that rushed to the front of my mind in class today.  We are implementing 1:1 technology in our district this year so every app, project, use of our iPads brings new challenges.  Normally I can keep ahold of the reins by scouting an app or site prior to kids so I can troubleshoot and prepare my firsties for unexpected issues.  However, there are things we can not control.  The new assessment we will be using this year is on iPad instead of 1:1 with the teacher.  Keeping things fun and positive is the only way to keep firsties from stressing out. 

So on a side note, you know how animals can smell fear?  Well so can 6 year olds!  My students will follow me with a smile and no fear... Unless they see me stressed.  Well watching my firsties enter a 9 digit student number and then a password with letters and numbers combined, they could hear the stress in my voice.  I did not know what the screen would look like next, how it would respond, if my kids could maneuver, etc.  My principal, an aid and myself were in the room floating around to assist.  After the test was done I felt drained!  I felt awful like my kids were super stressed.  When they came back from recess they were bounding with energy and giggling...What?  I thought they would be wiped out, over stressed, overloaded!

Yes, it took longer than planned, it was hard work, but we rose to the challenge.  Another day that my plans would be a mess because things took longer than planned, were not as smooth as I pictured in my mind.  We had to adjust and do a few things differently in the afternoon so we could finish our day on a high note.  Smiles and high fives as my bus students left the building made me stop and reflect on the day.  They were amazing, I was amazed by their ability to shine in a moment that could have been scary.  I walked back to my classroom and I heard the song pumping through my brain once again...
Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying? 
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile.

So much power!  If we remember that positive energy and something as simple as a smile can redirect many issues we first view as impossible or frightening.  Someone once told me it's impossible to be sad if you are able to smile and get someone to smile back at you. So when it gets crazy, I'm gonna stop, take a breathe and smile at one of my firsties so they know I believe in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment